Monday 14 March 2011

Paintings plus

I've been working on new paintings as well as journals, the paintings are for our upcoming exhibition in June, the journals are the commissions I'm working on, they take sooooo long.


This is an 8" x 8" canvas painted with acrylics. I've started painting in my graphicy style again.


This painting's much larger, 20" x 24", and it's not quite finished yet. It's at the 'sitting' stage where I keep walking past it waiting for it to tell me what to do next.
I love the colour schemes in both of these and I'm looking forward to starting another one soon.


I made these owls for the rest of the 'five take flight' group when we had our art get together recently. These are made using my fabric paper as the backgrounds, then layered and stitched with fabrics, sequin waste and beads for eyes. The hangers are sari silks wired with beads and a hand made ring at the top.


These were gorgeous chandeliers in the restaurant where our group, Patsy, Jacky, Dot, Julia and I, met for lunch just over a week ago Julia has more photos on her blog. 
We had a fabulous time sharing our show and tell, the food was divine too.


This was part of the garden at the restaurant, there are many rooms inside and lots of garden rooms outside. You could be in Asia, Italy and almost Mexico all here in Oz.


This is another fabulous cafe hubby and I went to this weekend. We have friends living in the very arty town of Daylesford about an hour and a half from here. We spent the weekend with them and visited Cliffys, a great little, very bohemian cafe. I managed to get this picture just before the rush. The walls on the left are fabric panels. 


I had to show you these columns as Patsy doesn't have a blog. They are magnificent, you can see how tall they are. Patsy has been painting them with fantastic images of people, animals, flowers, buildings, lovely words, images depicting everyday life and community. They will be on display in Melbourne outside St Michael's church in the city.




This is Patsy's gorgeous dog Milly who is now with the angels.


Some of the people. Don't you just love the birds in the bag of the lady on the back column.


Another view of the column.


And for the cat lovers.


Finally I added a dash of purple to my hair, nothing too radical.








24 comments:

Jacky said...

Looove that touch of purple Ro....really suits that hairstyle too!
Wonderful paintings, I love your graphicy style. I need to get my skates on. Lots of ideas buzzing around the head and notations in my journal, but nothing on canvas yet.
Patsy's columns look amazing, I wish she had a blog so we could keep track of all the wonderful things she does...lucky we have our art get togethers, at least we get to see some!
Looking forward to Saturdays journal/sketching time.

Jacky xox

Lucy said...

Great photos Ro & I LOVE your hair!!
Hugs Lucy

Anonymous said...

Your work is terrific Ro and that purple looks great in your hair, Patsy has outdone herself.

Donna Wynn (Yogiknitgirl) said...

Love the touch of purple...you are an amazing woman! I love those owls!!!! Have a great week.
Donna Wynn

Katiejane said...

This is fantastic, Ro! I love those columns and that cafe is divine. Your purple streak is exactly the right touch.

Suztats said...

Love the paintings! And the owls are soo cute!

Terri Kahrs said...

Love that bit of purple, Ro! Also love this post - it's full of delicious eye candy!!! So interesting to hear you mention the "sitting stage" and "waiting for it to tell me what to do next". I always wait for my work to "talk to me" too!!!! When I painted murals, my clients used to laugh when I told them that their work was talking to me!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Anonymous said...

Fab art, fab restaurant, fab friends and art and wow, love that purple in your hair! xox Corrine

Judy Wise said...

I immediately want a purple streak too. It looks FABULOUS on you!!!!! xo

Heather said...

A super post Ro, full of vitality and colour. Love your canvases and the owls. That restaurant and cafe sound well worth a visit. Patsy's columns are amazing - so much detail, and that's a lovely shade of purple.

Parabolic Muse said...

Ro, those paintings are so vibrant and pretty. Lovely colors, of course! How lucky are people at the show.

Purple is the PERFECT touch!

Kim said...

All very tastefull, including the hair. Nice snap of you Ro.

juliaD said...

Hi Ro,
Thank you again for the lovely little owl, so wonderful that I think you need to be selling them on Etsy!!!
Yes, I agree with Jacky that we need to get moving or we will not have anything to contribute to the exhibition!!!....xxxx

ArtfulLee Designed said...

Love the purple in your hair Ro, my favourite colour.
I love your paintings and your owls are just gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. I want to take a trip to that restaurant now. Must put it in my diary
Lee:)

deb said...

Ro, love it all, so much to see. Great photo of you and your purple streak. I think you need to persuade Patsy she needs a blog. Deb xx

Anonymous said...

wild and crazy hair!

And I love the columns...

gorgeous painter.. naive and normal. I bet her columns attract lot of visitors.

Chrisy said...

The purple looks fab...love the poppy painting...and that cafe...wish we had one like that here...all are so devoid of personality...ta for sharing...

Emma said...

I'd love to sit in a cafe like that too with groups of my blogging friends ;)Great pillars, sweet, sweet owls, lovely paintings & you look just gorgeous ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the purple hair,love the owls. Wonderful and uplifting.

Robin Olsen said...

Such happy things here! Those owls have captured my heart.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Ro...
lovely your dash of purple... great to see all you've been up to... I love Daylesford!
Your journals must take so much work... Im sure they go to good homes of people who recognise how precious they are!
S

Joy Logan said...

I wanted to do a color also in my hair but think I may be too old so I do it flaming red occasionally.

Laura J. Wellner (author pseudonym Laura J. W. Ryan) said...

OMG I love the purple, and as always, I love your art!

Laura

Lovey said...

Love it all Ro! It's been a while...but so glad I've found you again...