Thursday 28 June 2012

Earrings, stitching and journal pages

I've had a variety of work this week, making new earrings for my Etsytaking an online workshop with Carol Ann Waugh called Stitch and Slash, stitching in layers then cutting back. The class was very easy and cheap but the technique is fabulous. I've also been working in my latest Altered book as I'm hoping to hold a workshop at home on Saturday 28th of July teaching this. If you'd like to attend please email me for details.


These earrings are made from a very old embossed brass bowl that I've cut and filed smooth. The round discs are cut from an old much loved tea caddy. I've oxidized the hand made sterling silver hooks.


These are very old world, with vintage pearl buttons, discs cut from another vintage tea caddy. The spear shapes are cut and filed from more of the embossed brass bowl.


This is a section of the fabric piece I made in the online class. It will be a cushion cover when it's finished.


Above and below, close up details showing the free motion stitching and cutting back of the layers.
I've gone off on a tangent from the workshop but that's the beauty of the technique.





Above are pages in progress from one of my class samples.



Two more pages from the long, narrow sample book.

Thanks again for taking the time to visit and for the comments too.






16 comments:

Nancy Bowron said...

I have recently found your blog and really enjoy the creativity! I'm not sure what a tea caddy is, but those earrings are nifty. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha Marshall said...

Gorgeous Ro!!! I love your earrings. xxx

Raylee said...

like the colours in these pages....very rich!

dorothypandorasbox said...

Love all the new pages Ro. Which online class are you doing?

bellefrogworks said...

Love your artwork and the earrings are gorgeous! May have to visit your shop

ArtPropelled said...

Intrigued by the cutting back of layers..... and the tea caddy earrings!

Anonymous said...

Great earrings! I bet they'll do well on Etsy.

Heather said...

The ear-rings are beautiful and what a great idea to recycle the old bowl and tea caddies.
Love your fabric piece - stunning choice of fabrics. The journal pages are gorgeous as usual, but each time they are different - new and fresh.

sue said...

Such vibrancy in your work Ro! Just love and really like the re-use of materials in the ear-rings - they are very feminine aren't they? You are always so productive - fantastic!
x
sue

Jacky said...

Your stitch and slash piece looks wonderful Ro .... very abstract and textural.
Love what you have done with the brass bowl for the earrings. That looks really effective.
All bold and beautiful Ro...love it!

Jacky xox

Judy said...

Ro, Lovely page full of startling colour againI feel I want to drink it in, Lovely earings too, the pages of your book, yum.

Vivienne Louise said...

Love your new earings Ro! You are so innovative. I would never have thought to use a brass bowl. Finally got hold of some Bank paper, so hope to do more journals soon.
Vivienne

rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Ro, I love your earrings and your gorgeous journal pages... your use of color is pure magic!
roxanne

emma-alittlebitofeverything said...

You're a woman of many beautiful talents, lovely pieces in my favorite burgundy pallet ;)

Elizabeth said...

Love what you have done with the embossed brass bowl!! Brilliant!!! Your new fabric work is amazing! What is the on line class?
Big hugs!
E

Célia Ribeiro said...

facisnada am with this blog. thanks for so much color