Friday 21 December 2007

Purple haze




This is a necklace I've just completed for Patsy, one of my students in the altered book workshops. I made the copper book with the pages being pieces of fabric from old Japanese kimonos. Patsy is a textile artist so this was very appropriate for her. Patsy provided all of the interesting jewellery components. The close up is of a beautiful piece that was originally a brooch from France.

We had to cancel our altered book workshop last night due to torrential rain. The storm was incredible it flooded the Hann Made Studio workshop with water pouring down the walls from the inside. We have had similar storms tonight. The weather is warm so it is very balmy inside and out, you can almost see the garden grow, so lush, it's sad to think that in two or three weeks, when we get the real heat, every thing will be tinder dry and a major fire hazard. Mother nature is very fickle or is this the result of global warming?

14 comments:

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

beautiful piece...i love purple...sorry about the studio and the workshop...take good care...season's blessings, rebecca

Judy Wise said...

This necklace is incredibly beautiful, Ro, your friend is going to LOVE it. Wow, it has everything going in it. Great work.

sharon young said...

I love this necklace, Ro, the little book is inspired. How lovely to receive something so totally unique and made just for you with love!I'm sure she'll feel wonderful every time she wears it.
So sorry to hear about the studio. We have the opposite problem in the UK, days and days of horrendous frosts, it's so cold you just want to go out for essentials and then come back into the warm.
I keep checking my studio daily for the dreaded burst pipes, it's already had a drenching this year when the roof started leaking and now it's too cold to mend it.

Unknown said...

Oh, yes...beautiful necklace and how very special for her that all the elements have special meaning.

Anonymous said...

Ro - this necklace is just stunning! As always, your work is amazing and so inspiring.

Julie H said...

STUNNING! SUBLIME! Love it! All of it. Is the flower on the front of your book filigre or etched? Love the delicate spray whichever - it enhances the oriental feel and the strength in those delicious purple beads.

Jen Crossley said...

STUNNING Ro, a beautiful piece as always
Merry christmas
Jen

Joanne said...

Lucky Lady Patsy will just love it, her colours! Beautiful piece Ro obviously made with the recipient in mind. Merry Christmas.

rochambeau said...

Your necklace is a work of art Ro!!
Hope the rain will leave your studio alone!!
Hope your holidays are happy and bright!

Constance

Mary Ann said...

lovely and amazing Ro, beautifully crafted. WOWZA

Anonymous said...

merry christmas and the best for 2008 ro!

Linda O'Neill said...

Beautiful, Ro! Purple used to be my absolute favorite color when I was a young hippy girl. Pretty much everything I wore was purple. Oh yeah...and feather earrings. What a fashion period THAT was!

Merry Christmas...with a big hug too! xox

Jai Johnson • JaiArt.Com said...

Ro, thank you for touching my life by visiting my blog page and commenting on my jewelry. I am always thrilled to "meet" fellow artisans. Your jewelry is very unique and obviously created with a loving hand. I especially like the necklace Purple Haze you made for your friend. Purple is one of my favorite colors and it really caught my eye. :)

InJoy,
Jai

P.S. I love the Christmas photos of your living room too!

Anonymous said...

Wow--stunning necklace!!