Monday 5 March 2007

Meeting the Masters






Wow what a weekend. I've just returned from the art retreat in Fremantle WA, unfortunately I was only able to attend on two of the days not three, but I still had a fantastic time. My husband came too and spent his weekend touring the coffee shops, taking photos and buying me beads from the market, he's a gem.
I did Nina's 'copper booklace workshop' and Michael's 'pez dispenser totem workshop'. I wasn't able to fit in Lesley's workshop which would have been great because it was transfers and journals.
There were a great bunch of people there including two ladies who I hadn't met before who only live in the next suburb to me, which was amazing since it's a four hour flight to WA. There was even a lady who had flow out from Canada. The tutors were fabulous giving us so much of their time and knowledge. Nina is such a lovely lady and we introduced her to the art of biting off the corners of tim tam biscuits and sucking the tea up through it, I don't think she'll be rushing out to try it again, but we got some great photos. I'll include the necklace I almost completed in Nina's workshop as soon as it's finished.
Michael's class was amazing, I have a much greater respect for liquid nails now, having worn it for most of the weekend.
It's incredible what you can stick together and then paint and turn it into a rusty, still functioning, relic, in this case pez dispensers. I've included the two I made in class, they're not quite complete, but almost. Jo and Jackie Artistic Journey did a wonderful job of organizing the retreat, they put so much time and effort into it, if they have one next year I would definitely recommend it to everyone.
We were lucky to be coming home today as the temperature in Perth reached 42 deg C (104 degF). Nina, Lesley and Michael also left for Sydney so they missed the heat too.

7 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, Ro. Love the photo of you, Nina and Leslie...you all look so happy. The pez totem is a kick...what a great class! xo

Corrine said...

That does it...If it is on again next year...I'm going to it too. Great work on the pex totems, sounds like a great week end
Corrine

Elizabeth said...

Ro!
Love your Pez dispensers! It is really amazing how something so encrsuted and rusted and old can look so wonderfully happy! one can tell that you had a great time!!

Judy Scott said...

What fun, Love your work, I too discovered tim tams last year, yum! Jude x

Judy Wise said...

Oh, it appears that you all had such a marvelous time together; how wonderful! I love your pez totem ...

Gisele said...

Wow Ruth, your Pez dispensers and Booklace necklace are great.....lucky you attending a weekend workshop with the masters!

jen duncan said...

What fun! You did SUCH a better job on your Pez container than I did on the shoe I altered in michael's class last Feb. :-)