Sunday 20 September 2009

Earrings

I'm still working on another journal but decided to take a break from it over the weekend to make some earrings for my etsy

I had my one hundredth sale on my store last week so as a thank you to all of my customers I will be putting your names in a draw for a prize. The draw will take place next weekend.










I also made a scarf with fibres and fabric. I may end up teaching this as a workshop next year. It's a fabulous way to use up scrap yarns and fabrics and would make great bags and journal pages.



This is how it starts out,



and this is the finished scarf, all made in a few hours.



a detail of the scarf.

Saturday we went to Ballarat which is a country town about an hours drive out of Melbourne. They had a photographic exhibition in various parts of the town. The town hall was one of the venues and I couldn't resist taking photos of their magnificent stair case and carpet, the colours were divine.






They also have wonderful mosaic tiled floors through out the building too. These have great potential for future stamps.




There are some magnificent buildings in the town, this used to be and still is, on a small scale, a gold mining town. The buildings are some of our earliest and the Chinese building is a reminder of our diverse heritage.





Finally, I have been a fan of Maria Wiley's art for some time now. If you haven't seen Maria's paintings you can visit her blog here. I love Maria's colour and style, she contacted me and asked if I would trade a bracelet for her new book she has just had published. I said yes and was thrilled when it arrived on Friday.
It's a lovely book and shows the development of her work. She has them for sale on her blog, in her side bar.

22 comments:

Sherry said...

You have an amazing eye for colour and texture...and you can see from these photographs that your inspiration comes from all around you.

Sherry Goodloe said...

The jewelry you create is just fab-u-lous! Love the earrings shown in this post. You are very creative :)

Terri Kahrs said...

Ohhh, Ro! Your earrings are beautiful! Thank you for giving us a tour today too. That carpet is scrumptious!!! Love the architecture too! Hugs, Terri

Heather said...

I love those ear-rings - the smokey brown beads go so well with all the other elements. The scarf is gorgeous and a wonderful way of using a stash of yarns and fabrics, thankyou for sharing the idea with us. That stair carpet is fabulous - the colours are very Ro Bruhn! The tiles are beautiful too - inspiration everywhere. What a great idea to trade art - enjoy the book.

Janette Kearns Wilson said...

Great shots of Ballarat and love the earrings your combinations really work.
Hope to catch up soon

Clare Wassermann said...

Thanks for looking at my Blog. I've just seen in your last post those wonderful tiles and I am about to post (tomorrow?) about the same type of tile which we have in our house. They look like they are encaustic Victorian tiles from the MInton factory here in the UK. I am going to post a bit of info about them tomorrow as I used them as inspiration for something I am currently working on. The tale of the colours is quite interesting...stand by...

Jacky said...

Ro you have been busy! Love the gorgeous earring for your giveaway, especially those amber coloured ones!
AND your scarf is just beautiful and such lovely strong colours.
Multi talented !!!!

Lovely post.

Jacky xox

ArtPropelled said...

What an amazing scarf! I'm sure a workshop will go down well. Love all the photos of Ballarat. Looking down at the carpet from the top of the stairs ....beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

Dear Ro!!!
Love the new earrings with the wonderful sage buttons- such great color choices!! The carpet pix would make great transfers for fabric !! The roof lines of the Chinese building would also make a fabulous stamp!!! I am sure that you will get to those projects soon- you are not one to idle!!!!!
Your scarf is fabulous and I am sure that as a class it would do very well!!

Looks like Maria was influenced by your color pallette!! I am off to visit her blog!!
thanks so much for the wonderful inspirations that you offer to all of us!! You are a STAR!!
hugs!
elizabeth

Kim Palmer said...

Congrats on your 100th sale Ro. Love the autumn golden tone pair of earrings, very nice. Love those old buildings in Ballarat, have been to the chinese one there too!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

The scarf has amazing textures,I love it.x

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

Thanks so much Ro! I'm so glad you like it! I LOVE your bracelet! Will put a pic on my blog with your link ... thanks once again my friend :-) cheers, Maria

azirca said...

That is quite a grand staircase. When I was a child my Dr had patterned carpet just like that on his surgery floor, I spent many hours staring at it while I waited to see him.
I really loved your photos of the buildings in Ballarat, the architecture is wonderful.

Fabulous earrings and that scarf...the colours... wow...stunning!

Judy said...

great scarf Ro. you are so resourceful.

Candace said...

Ro, thank you so much for sharing this with us. I feel as though I am right there with you, many times. Maybe one day I will be... cross fingers!

The buildings, the scarf -- how fantastical! -- and the earrings! You go, girl!
Candace in Athens.

juliaD said...

Hi Ro,
Just blown away by your scarf, and those latest earrings are divine..love the drops at the ends, and the col combos...
Congrats! on your 100th etsy sale too...I saw that and was so pleased for you...
You are such a wonderfully talented lady....xx...Julia

HollyM said...

Your art is wonderful. i love all the colors. It really is 'art for the soul'. i am truly amazed at everything you do!

Dot said...

Congrats on your 100th ETSY sale Ro! That is lovely news. You are very generous to do a giveaway.
Love your new earrings. And thanks for giving us a tour - i want to cut that carpet up into bits!

Dot xx

Dot said...

P.s Meant to comment on the scarf too. It is wonderful Ro!

rivergardenstudio said...

There is so much here... your beautiful earrings and the scarf... but the carpet and it's patterns really catch my eye... I love the designs in rugs and mosaics... just lovely! Roxanne

Our Hands For Hope said...

That scarf is AWESOME!

Ann Christine Dennison said...

I love that scarf!!!