Sunday 21 February 2010

Journal workshop

Just letting you know I will be holding a decorated papers, journal workshop at home on Saturday the 13th of March. If you're interested in attending please email me for details. I still have a couple of places left.



This is the finished journal.








These are typical papers that we will make to go into the journal.


I'd again like to thank everyone for visiting my blog and leaving all of your lovely comments, it's so difficult to get around to you all personally, I try but working full time and my jewellery and other art ventures doesn't leave me a lot of time to catch up with everyone, so thank you all, your comments are very much appreciated.

I spent most of Saturday with my brother and sister trying to find a suitable aged care facility for my mother, she's eighty five and had a fall four weeks ago. She had to have surgery due to bleeding on the brain, this has left her with very little movement down her left side, she struggles to move and can't sit up at all. We're hoping there might be a chance she will improve, but things aren't looking too good. My eighty eight year old father is finding it difficult to come to terms with as he's been her carer for the past ten years, he's done an amazing job. It's so sad to see it come to this.

I've finally started the 'Princess wall" for one of my little princesses. She is a great supervisor making sure I get the colours right. Here's where I'm at so far. I'll show more photos as it progresses.






I've just completed another hand made journal hopefully to sell at the retreat in March. I hope to have a few more made as well as some jewellery, canvases and hand carved stamps. Busy busy.


The cover is hand painted canvas lined with fabric.



This is the inside showing the fabric lining.







These are just a few of the pages.



And how's this for artistic coffee, there's a lovely cafe not far from home where they make fabulous food and great coffee, it tastes as good as it looks.



I couldn't resist this photo, we pass these trees on our daily walk near home, the flowers are delightful. I finally remembered to take my camera with me last week. I had to use the flash to try to capture the true colour, they are the most magnificent of our flowering gums (eucalyptus ficifolia), the trees are usually alive with our equally colourful lorikeets.

More soon, enjoy your week.

31 comments:

Heloise said...

So sorry to hear about your Mother, it must be hard for all of you. I hope that things improve and you find a good home.
The journal looks wonderful so full of colour and life.

Heavens2Betsy said...

It is so difficult when our parents become aged. I hope your mother's situation improvees. I love all your work. Your papers are amazing and I particularly love the poppy head image.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Such beautiful work Ro, I love the intensity of colour you use.

Hope you just the right place for your Mom, another of life's major transitions, they are never easy.

Heather said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous journals and I love the princess wall. So sad about your parents - I hope things work out well for them. It's good that you have your brother and sister to help make the decisions. My Mum will be 102 on Wednesday. That cup of coffee looks very special and the eucalyptus flowers are beautiful. I envy the ladies on your workshop - hope you all have a great day.

Sherry Goodloe said...

Your artwork here is just beautiful Ro!

Sorry to hear about your mother and how hard it has been for your father.

Lins Artyblobs said...

Gorgeous papers, journals & coffee & the wall looks like it will be great too. Sorry to hear about your mum.

DWhiteCreations said...

love the journal, great combo of colors

JP said...

I would so love to come but the Uk is too far to come from for the day! - I just love all the new pages - sorry about your mum - we are definitely the jam sandwich generation - elderly parents and trying to support our children at the same time!!!

Joann Loftus said...

Such beautiful papers!

Chrisy said...

Your princess wall is looking wonderful. Obviously you have a fine supervisor!

I hope you find somewhere perfect for your Mum. It's sad for everybody isn't it. How messy and horrible life can be...

Linda Vincent said...

Oh I wish I could say please put my name down!! Spending time making art with you in the sunshine sounds heavenly (especially as I look out at the remains of yesterdays snow....)

Its a difficult time for us, isn't it - having to make decisions about the care of our parents. We are still going through a similar situation. I feel for you.

Your photos are full of colour and inspiration as always - I can feel the warmth in that journal cover!
x

Miek said...

Your art-work is so beautifull! I would like to come to your workshop on 13 march BUT coming from Holland it's a very long flight :).
Is there a possebility to learn more about your way of working?

Elizabeth said...

Oh if only clicking the Ruby slippers worked..... I would be there for your class!!! It will be awonderful time for all!
HAving our parents age and fail is oh so very hard- my heart goes out to you and your folks. Peace will come.....
Don't you just love painting on canvas fabric? I ahve even started uysing old jeans material to apint on for coversof some books!

Such fun!!
I will be thinking of you and sending warm thoughts of restful solutions for your dear family.
Hugs!
elizabeth

Anonymous said...

How on earth do you manage to do so much?! Beautiful journals... sorry to hear about the difficulties. Please don't feel obliged to pay me a reciprocal visit - only come if you really want to :-) Really wish I could join you in the journal workshop!

HeARTworks said...

Gorgeous work! So alive -the papers and the colors make me so happy!

Peggy B said...

I am speechless!!! And I too wish I had a magic carpet here in Philadelphia, PA USA to whisk me to your workshop!!!! I have never made a journal at all...but you have inspired me to give it a try!!

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh, I am sorry about your mother's fall, and how things must be very hard right now. I hope you have found a good place for her, and that your days become more calm. I love your journal page, especially the one for WORDS and the elephant page. take care, roxanne

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your days with us visitors. Your journal pages are so beautiful. Your workshop sounds fanasticly fun.I wish I could join you.
Orly

Jacky said...

The ficifolia is beautiful Ro...they have a Ficifolia Festival in Drouin around this time of year (just in case you're in the vicinity).
The new journal is beautiful, I love the fabric cover.
Looking forward to the journal class with the other WA girls in your studio.
Thinking of you and what you are going through with your parents...I hope you find a lovely place for them soon.

Jacky xox

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

Very sorry to hear about your Mother, Ro. It's never an easy time ... hope you find a good place for her.
Lovely photos & I especially like the coffee one :-D

Laura said...

Oh your journals are gorgeous! Truly inspiring.

Seth said...

Best with your parents and figuring out that situation. Hard for sure. Wish i were close enough to you to take the workshop. It will be wondeful I am sure.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Your life is so busy and not all the fun kind of busy...I am sorry you are faced with your mother's needs.
On the other end of life ...the joy of painting the lovely wall and in the between of all of this, the beautiful papers. Best of luck with your journal workshop!

jackie said...

The coffee looks amazing. I do hope you find somewhere that will be 'good' for your mother.
Regards

Jackie

juliaD said...

Hi Ro,
Yes, thanks it's great to have it all over, and now to enjoying my new space...jusat cant figure out where I am going to do my art, have a few ideas, but waiting till i have the right energy.
Your energy must be good, as you are so busy...love the mural for your grandchild's room, and the coming workshop..wish I could attend, but can't right now...thanks for the invite...xxx

Ann Christine Dennison said...

It is difficult when parents get old and need care, I do hope you find a nice place for your Mum. As usual your blog is such a source of inspiration and I have been catching up on the last few postings and love them. I loved seeing the photos of your studio, you really are organised :-) Your paper and jounals are wonderful and I just can't seem to stop repeating myself here! When are you going to write a book with all of your juicy artwork in it?

Downunderdale said...

Hi Ro - wouldn't I love to come to a workshop! Sorry to hear about your folks - it's a b....r getting old - cheers
Dale

Katiejane said...

Oh, Ro. I do hope for the best for your mother - and your father. This must be so difficult and troubling for all of you. Big hugs your way.

I so love to look at your journals. If I lived near you I would join every one of your classes. In the meantime, keep feeding me eye candy.

Deborah said...

I really enjoy your work and wish I lived close enough to take a workshop. Best wishes for your mother's situation.

Healing Woman said...

I love your Princess wall. Beautiful. So glad I'm following you!
Hope your mother starts feeling better.

JRonson said...

I'm super imrpessed with all works here in your blog, bravo !