Monday 28 March 2011

Flora Bowley

What a fabulous teacher, fabulous artist and a fabulous group of people. Can you tell I had a fabulous time in Flora Bowley's painting workshop over the weekend. I could only attend the first day but still had a wonderful day. Flora is so open and generous with her techniques. I learned a whole new way to free up in my painting. There was an expectant air when we first started the class but by lunch time we were all in the swing. I met some lovely fellow artists and it was great to meet a lovely lady from north of our state who reads my blog. These events really do bring like minded people together. I have to thank Julia for having the courage to organize such an event, she did a great job.


This was the very start of my first canvas, I loved it like this, but this was the first of many layers.


The second canvas up to layer three.


This was the last layer I did in the class on the previous painting. I still have a few more layers to go.


This is the last layer of the first painting, still not quite sure how many more layers will be needed to complete it.


Flora demonstrating on her painting.



Some of the other students fabulous work, everyone was different.

After the class Patsy, Julia and I went out to dinner with Flora, we had a lovely meal and it was great to get to know a little more about Flora too.


Patsy, Flora and Julia.


Patsy, Flora and me.







19 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Wow! you lucky girl, love Flora's work and you created some amazingly rich pieces during her class. Layer up layer, it's just amazing what comes out..

Heather said...

Wonderful paintings Ro. I would be scared of losing a layer I liked by continuing to add more, but I can see how much depth and interest this technique creates. Glad you had such a good time - lovely pics.

Elizabeth said...

Oh I could really get into a class with Flora!! I love her name and her work so suits her wonderful name!!! Her apron is wonderful as well!! Such fun and Your paintings are just fabulous!!! I would have had a hard time covering your wonderful first layer as well!!!!

Donna Heart said...

Hi Ro!
I just attended the three day workshop over here in WA with Flora - and I'm still riding the high ;) Your paintings look so rich and lucious - make sure you post the finished pieces ok! The girls here gave her that apron - isn't it gorgeous?! And yes - a very special lady indeed - we were so lucky to have her down under,
X Donna
ps - just had to laugh because the word verification for this comment was "flever" which I think should be short for 'Flora Fever" lol ;)

Emma said...

Saw her mentioned on julia's blog & was v envious, you seem to have had a fabuous time! I can see she loosened you up but hard seeing those layers dissapearing under the next one!

Your dyeing was delicious! What kind of dye baths do you use - there seem s to be so much choice?

Anonymous said...

busy, rich and colorful, I imagine Flora is just like that too.

Tracy Verdugo said...

Hi Ro...so glad you enjoyed the workshop! I pick up Flora tomorrow off the train to bring her back to my place and then its our turn on the weekend!! Cannot wait!!
hugs
Tracy x

Melly Testa said...

I wish I were there with you, that looks like great fun.

xxx said...

enviable fun!

really beautiful.

Parabolic Muse said...

W
O
W !!

Ro, this is amazing. I LOVE this kind of pretty.

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Ro,
looks absolutely fun and at the same time a brilliant experience. One has to be bold with layering...I have lived to be sorry about lost layers...but its such an important learning and like anything..... to be prepared to win and lose... and learn... is important.
Best things is it can lead to wonderful results as with what you have done here.
S

Wini said...

Hi Ro, I agree it was a fabulous workshop!! Its great to see your work in progress. Its so colourful and expressive!! Wini xo

Downunderdale said...

oh you lucky thing - i wanted to go as she was in WA but I just couldn't fit it in - love her work

Maria said...

Wonderful paintings!! Flora's work is really awesome. It would be so much fun to take a class with her.

An'Angelia Thompson said...

Wow! Looks like this was a fabulous workshop! I don't know that I would be brave enough to cover up some of those beautiful layers!

Joy Logan said...

YUMMY all those journal pages on the slide show

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you made your heart sing - much creative energy released. The paintings are exuberant in colour, Ro.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Just discovered your blog via Tracy Verdugo. Even though I'm a Melbourne based girl I headed up to NSW for Flora's workshop. It was so amazing. I love the pieces that you started on. Look forward to seeing where they end up.

Love your other creative work too.

Parabolic Muse said...

Okay, I can't stand it. Seriously.

I'm moving to OZ.

can I stay with you?