Wednesday 2 March 2011

My City - Melbourne

We had a wonderful day last Saturday, we took a visit to the city, about forty five minutes from our home.
We han't been for awhile so it was good to visit the art stores, galleries etc. The sun shone, the temperature was lovely and there were lots of people milling around and taking advantage of such a glorious day. I thought I'd share some of it with you.



All the little lane ways have taken advantage of our weather and there are wall to wall cafes everywhere.


This cafe even has it's own resident parrot.


This lane way had a fabulous band playing gypsy style music, the little boy at the bottom of the photo was dancing his heart out.


The band.


A very famous tea room in the Block arcade, such luscious cakes in the window.


The new Myer. This is a large department store that was very out dated. This is their new look, very trendy now.


The view over the top rail looking down through all of the levels.





Cafes everywhere even in the middle of the river.


The new and the old, our beautiful old railway station.


Beautiful tree lined walking areas and more restaurants along the river

Finally I've been a part of Seth's Pulse group since it's inception, Seth has been displaying all sorts of information, that the members have provided, on his blog. Last Sunday was another of The Collectors edition, this features photos of members collections and I was lucky enough to have mine included.
If you'd like to see it the links here

19 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Ro
I felt very nostalgic when I saw these photos of my old city where I have spent so many years of my life before moving out to the country and
then interstate to the far south coast of NSW. There is a very festive feel about Melb. which I sometimes miss!
Love, Suzy

Jason said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us Ro. I haven't been to the new look Myer. In fact, I thought they were going to tear it down and begin again. I need to get to the city more. Afterall, I'm only a 20 minute bike ride away!

azirca said...

I remember visiting the Brisbane Myer store way back in the early nineties, I was amazed at how big it was. The Melbourne store looks very high-tech. Not sure about the height of all of those levels though, I'm getting vertigo just looking at the photo.

Doreen G said...

Tugging at my heart strings there Ro.When we are in Melb. we eat all the time in those fabulous laneway cafes.We were hoping to be there in March but a wedding in Perth has us going over there instead.
Hopefully in November.

Jen xo said...

iT has a great feel and vibe does Melbourne....havent been to the new Myer , i wish theyd update the bgo store, its old and grotty....

Heather said...

What a lovely day out Ro, and thanks for taking us with you. That teashop reminds me of places from my youth here in the UK. There are narrow lanes like those you photoed in cities here such as Bath, York and Brighton - and probably others too. It's still too early in the year for us to sit in the sun but I'm looking forward to it!

elena nuez said...

such a beautiful trip!
thanks a lot for sharing and greetings from Spain

Sophie Munns said...

How wonderful to be taken on this tour with you Ro!
I kept on sighing at each image i scrolled down... the Myer one took me completely by surprise... love that cafe on the bridge... looks like a fab day out!
S

Seth said...

Thanks so much for the tour. Having never been there I feel like I now have a birdseye view. And thanks for the shout out too Ro!

A'n'G Johnson said...

I love all the life and colors in these shots - what an adventure you had that day.

I would be honored if you would consider this:
http://acommunityartproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/project.html

Chrisy said...

Great pics...Melbourne is such a glorious place...

sue said...

Oh I do love Melbourne and try to visit every year - I am feeling the urge even more now! It is a lovely vibrant city!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour. The city looks so stroll-able and inviting. Lots of street action and music and trees along the river. Marvelous. xox Corrine

ArtfulLee Designed said...

Thanks for sharing your photos Ro. I haven't been into the city for so long, I think it is time I visited one of those laneway cafe's.
Lee:)

Emma said...

I'd like a coffee in the middle of the river!

Love the collections post.

rivergardenstudio said...

What a wonderful city, I love the outdoor cafe and the gypsy musicians. I can just imagine sitting there! My son plays the stand up base, and that sound moves me so... happy sunday to you! roxanne

Heather Woollove said...

What beautiful photographs!!
Thanks for sharing.

Joy Logan said...

would love to see your city one day!!! Looks fabulous!

lindacreates said...

What a wonderful and exciting city Ro! Between your photos and explanations and Oprah's TV visit, I have a real feel for the city.