Thursday 8 December 2011

In my studio

I decided to get with the Christmas cheer and added a few decorations to my studio, I have so much 'stuff' in my studio that they almost get lost, but it's lovely to enter into my magical world each day.


This is one of my work spaces. I've almost completed another journal to go in my Etsy store over the weekend. That's the cover and the pages stacked ready to be sewn in.


A close up of the journal.


The cover, I used my hand dyed thread for stitching around the edges.


This candle has been burning on and off for days giving off a beautiful spicy fragrance.
Jacky made the round, red printed bird and the pine cone tree my grandson made for me
four Christmases ago, I love it.


I made a tree from a bamboo twig, the tinsel bird was made by Dot.


I have a passion for paper tapes. The fabric medical tape pattern was made by rolling the tape over one of my hand carved stamps.


I've also been dying fabric and decided to try out some buttons and beads. This is the before.


And this is the after, I'm amazed how the very cheap 'pearl' beads took the colour so well.
The purple looks great on the brown buttons now too.




16 comments:

Georgina said...

What a cacophony of colour!! I love it. My studio is also a very colourful place to visit, but not many people can appreciate it...I call it organized chaos. It may look as if someone threw a hand grenade and shut the door, but I know where everything is. Last year, I cleaned and organized, made little lists of where everything was put and it still took me another 2 months to figure out where it all went!! LOL

So I shall again clean and organize in Jan., but I'll be a bit more careful...about those lists!!

Melanie Statnick said...

LOVE IT!! My studio has a bit of cheer too. I also know what its like to have too much stuff!!..Feels good

Heather said...

Your studio is looking so festive Ro, and although it might have a lot of stuff in it, it is very orderly and puts my work space to shame.
Your latest journal is going to be another book full of gorgeousness - love the colours of the cover and the results of your dyeing session.

Lorraine said...

I do a lot of dyeing myself but have not tried buttons. After seeing your results, think I'll give it a go. Thanks Ro.

rivergardenstudio said...

Wow, your studio IS magical... love all the decorations, and your 'medical tape' which I have not heard of. Happy Holidays Ro, wishing you more and more time for your fabulous art!
roxanne

Lucy said...

Fabulous magical studio Ro!
Love how the buttons turned out, may try it myself.
Hugs Lucy

Jen xo said...

oh you are so lucky to have such a wonderful studio... your treasures are so special too... love your button bead dying. I was fascinated to see Tim Holtz dye pearl beads in alcohol inks today and not messy either..:)

Beanie Mouse said...

That's it. I'm moving in.....!!

deb said...

Your studio looks a s colourful and eclectic as your work. What an inspiring environment to create in - lucky you!!

sweetypie said...

wow, those are so gorgeous, love them

Emma said...

I can see them! They look great, so does the journal & lovely dyed buttons, who'd have thought!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

It is a little work of art...I love all the colors and different fabrics and that you dye your own thread.

xoxo Nita

Elizabeth said...

Love the little glimpses of your art space!! Did you felt the cover of this latest journal , or did you do it on the embellisher?? looks wonderfully textured!!
I guess that i wont be throwing away any more yucky brown buttons!!! WHO KNEW!!!?????????????????????????

Michelle said...

Love the purples with orange! Your journals are inspiring.

jackie said...

Its always interesting to see other people's space, and the tape idea sound intriguing. Thanks for your kind comment and I wish you a great Xmas and all the best for 2012.

An'Angelia Thompson said...

You're having more creative fun than I can shake a stick at! :o) It never once occurred to me that beads, buttons and baubles could be dyed! I need to hang out with you for a weekend. If only Australia wasn't so far away.......Merry Christmas to you, Ro! ♥